lemon shortbread squares

I love shortbread.

It’s buttery, crunchy, travels well, and last for days.

These travelled with me to the sewing summit.

I think it’s always best to travel with cookies.

lemon shortbread

2 sticks butter (at room temperature)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

zest of one lemon

2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla paste

2 drops lemon extract

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In bowl of mixer combine butter, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Beat on medium speed for about five minutes, or until the dough is soft and light in color. Add vanilla, lemon extract, and ginger and mix to combine.

Slowly add flour and mix until just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press by hand into a thick rectangle, wrap with plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 – 2 hours.

Once chilled, place dough on lightly floured surface and roll to about 1/4 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into squares. Place the squares onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the start to just turn golden on the edges. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes or so before removing to cooling rack to cool completely.

15 thoughts on “lemon shortbread squares

1. julie b says:

these look so wonderful… i prefer them with a cup of tea. read your bio and i could copy it and put it as my own! funny. i am definitely going to try these very soon. as a matter of fact i am travelling this week, so, i should make them for the trip!

2. robyn says:

they look great. I have the dough chilling in the fridge now. Is there a little sugar or something on the outside in the picture? thanks

3. Micah Jones says:

I made these two days ago and they were absolutely delicious! The only problem I had was that the dough became too hard after refrigerating it for an hour- I couldn’t roll it out at all, so I just baked it in the form I made it in before refrigeration. Other than that, definitely love them! Thanks for sharing!

4. mybricole says:

I’m glad everyone is enjoying them.
    Micah – I find if the dough sits on the counter for a minute or too, it usually softens enough to roll. Also, I use a marble rolling pin for cookies and I think the weight of the pin helps with the chilled dough. I’m glad you found a way to make it work for you 🙂

5. sharon says:

my son and I just made these with an extra Meyer lemon I have from this week’s grocery. the dough is so good we almost didn’t have any to put in the fridge to chill. thanks so much for the recipe!

6. Maria says:

When you said Vanilla or Vanilla paste. Could it be Vanilla extract? Sorry Im nt too familiar with baking but I will love to try these tonight!

7. mybricole says:

You could use vanilla extract if you like. Vanilla paste is similar to extract but contains the seeds as well.

8. HeatherS says:

I don’t have any lemon extract on hand but do have several lemons. Would it be possible to substitute lemon juice for the extract and if so how much? Looking forward to making these for my Mom’s birthday, they look wonderful!

9. mybricole says:

I have not tried these with lemon juice. The flavor will be less intense because the extract is more concentrated. You may want to try a teaspoon of juice and see how that works. Adding too much juice might make a difference in the consistency of the dough. If you use the juice, I’m thinking maybe you should add another teaspoon or two of lemon zest because that adds flavor too. good luck and happy birthday to your mom!

10. HeatherS says:

Thanks so much! I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it comes out. My Mom loves all things lemon so I am sure it will be a big hit!

11. Sarah says:

These look so good! I’m going to make them for a cookie exchange tomorrow. I’m thinking I might make a second batch switching the lemon extract with coconut extract. I’ll let you know how they turn out!

what do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s